Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date: 2004-08-29 14:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> This should be:

> Table "public.Upper Division"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> ------------------+---------+-----------
> abc | integer |
> " spaced out " | text |
> " real ""Name""" | text |
> "MixedCase" | text |

I find this quite ugly, and don't think it's a good change. Anyone
who's fool enough to use trailing spaces in column names deserves the
pain it will cost them --- and there is no other case in which the
unquoted display is ambiguous.

If we are going to go over to a policy of displaying names the same way
you'd have to type them, what of the table name at the top of the
output? (I actually would vote for some change there, because I think
the way we are quoting the whole thing is actively misleading...)
For that matter, wouldn't consistency require that column headings
in SELECT results be quoted similarly?

On the ordering issues, I'd go for straight alphabetical schema/name
sort in all cases; I thought that's where we were already, but if you
see some missing cases let's fix it. I'm not enamored of discriminating
against system objects in the sort order.