Re: [GENERAL] MS Access 2007 update write conflict problem & resolution

From: "justin(at)magwerks(dot)com" <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com>
To: "Douglas Little" <DOUGLAS(dot)LITTLE(at)orbitz(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] MS Access 2007 update write conflict problem & resolution
Date: 2010-03-19 18:12:52
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

The bigger problem is using time stamps to find the record for updating

Timestamps will not be unique as more than 1 record can have the same value

I suggest changing the updating method to use a unique key.

---- Message from mailto:DOUGLAS(dot)LITTLE(at)orbitz(dot)com "Little, Douglas" DOUGLAS(dot)LITTLE(at)orbitz(dot)com at 03-19-2010 10:35:09 AM ------

Hi,
We’ve been struggling with an MS Access 2007 app that updates a PG table. It was working, and then it wasn’t.
It looks like we recreated the table without specifying the precision on the timestamp columns.

PG is defaulting to timestamp(6), which doesn’t work with MS Access. The finest precision Access can deal with is timestamp(3).
When the record is retrieved from PG it displays 6 microseconds, when Access prepares the update, the value is rounded to 3 microseconds.
The update can’t then locate the row (timestamp mismatch), and displays the ‘write conflict’ error.

Altering the column to timestamp(0) corrected the issue.

2 questions
1- PGAdmin was reporting the precision as 0, while a select was displaying 6 microseconds. Is this a known bug in pgadmin?
2- Is there a way in PG that I can set the default precision on timestamp?
Thanks

I’ll cross post to the pgadmin list for the pgadmin question.

Doug Little

Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Enterprise Data Management | Orbitz Worldwide
500 W. Madison, Suite 1000 Chicago IL 60661| Office 312.260.2588| Fax 312.894.5164 | Cell 847-997-5741
mailto:Douglas(dot)Little(at)orbitz(dot)com Douglas(dot)Little(at)orbitz(dot)com
http://www.orbitz.com/ orbitz.com | http://www.ebookers.com/ ebookers.com | http://www.hotelclub.com/ hotelclub.com | http://www.cheaptickets.com/ cheaptickets.com | http://www.ratestogo.com/ ratestogo.com | http://www.asiahotels.com/ asiahotels.com

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by our proprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other information proprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it addresses. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.