Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date: 2009-05-29 15:28:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> The biggest problem is dictionary change. I'm not sure if it happened
> but IIRC Teodor mentioned it in Ottawa. If it happened It hits down
> tsvector compatibility at all.

No more than changing dictionary behavior in an existing installation.
What was stated when the issue came up during 8.3 development is that
you don't normally need to worry about small changes in dictionary
behavior because overall text search behavior will still be "close
enough". (I seem to recall that I'd complained that any change in
dictionary behavior would invalidate indexes based on the dictionary,
and this was the answer.)