Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml rc/bac ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml rc/bac ...
Date: 2003-12-20 19:11:29
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-patches

momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> Attached is a patch that addressed all the discussed issues that
> did not break backward compatability,

Was this patch actually agreed to? I hadn't gotten around to looking
at it because I thought Peter was still objecting to the whole idea.

> including the ability to
> output ISO-8601 compliant intervals by setting datestyle to
> iso8601basic.

This is a horrid, horrid idea. Datestyle is already a complete mess
because it is being used to control several things; it should have been
two or possibly three GUC variables not one. Sticking in yet another
behavior is just not acceptable IMHO, especially when it's defined as
non-orthogonally as that.

Please revert that part of the patch and instead invent a new GUC
variable that's specifically for interval formatting.

BTW, I can tell without looking that the patch is deficient in
documentation; if it has effects on GUC variables, why is there no
mod in runtime.sgml?