Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql
Date: 2023-10-09 19:13:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> On Mon, 2023-10-09 at 09:30 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> My point with the second paragraph is that we could, instead of documenting the
>> caveat about null printing as empty strings is to instead issue an implicit
>> "\pset null '<null>'" as part of these commands, and a "\pset null" afterward,
>> conditioned upon it not already being set to a non-empty value.  IOW, the
>> special-casing we do today but actually do it in a way that distinguishes the
>> two cases instead of forcing them to be indistinguishable.

> -1

> The whole point of this patch is to make psql behave consistently with respect to
> NULLs in meta-commands. Your suggestion would subvert that idea.

Yeah. There is a lot of attraction in having \pset null affect these
displays just like all other ones. The fact that they act differently
now is a wart, not something we should replace with a different special
case behavior.

Also, I'm fairly concerned about not changing the default behavior here.
The fact that this behavior has stood for a couple dozen years without
many complaints indicates that there's not all that big a problem to be
solved. I doubt that a new default behavior will be well received,
even if it's arguably better.