Re: Postmaster Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PGallagher(at)rainbow-mail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster Question
Date: 2007-09-11 19:57:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

PGallagher(at)rainbow-mail(dot)com writes:
> How can I stop postmaster when it is in an uncontrollable state? If I
> cannot simply stop it by stopping the service (net stop), and I can't get
> to it through psql, what is the easiest way to stop it?

This question is too open-ended to have any simple answer. Please be
specific about the sort of problem you are encountering.

> The information contained in this communication is confidential, it is
> intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally
> privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
> communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and
> delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Disclaimers like this are a great way to get your mail ignored
completely. Now I know and you know that this threat isn't worth
the electrons it's written on, but why should I respond to someone
whose corporate lawyers are so hostile to the outside world?