Re: Splitting lengthy sgml files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Splitting lengthy sgml files
Date: 2016-03-07 15:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> There are very lengthy (over 10k lines, for example) SGML files in
> docs. While working on translating docs using GitHub, I noticed that
> sometimes diffs are not showed in pull requests due to the limitation
> of GitHub, which makes me pretty difficult to review PR. Any chance to
> split those lengthy SGML files into smaller SGML files?

Surely that's a github bug that you should be complaining to them about?

I'm disinclined to split existing files because (a) it would complicate
back-patching and (b) it would be completely destructive to git history.
git claims to understand about file moves but it doesn't do a terribly
good job with that history-wise (try git log or git blame on
recently-moved files such as pgbench). And I've never heard even
a claim that it understands splits.

There might be reasons to override those disadvantages and do it
anyway ... but this doesn't sound like a very good reason.