Re: Tid scan improvements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tid scan improvements
Date: 2019-03-25 22:53:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I was kinda hoping to keep block numbers out of the "main" APIs, to
> avoid assuming everything is BLCKSZ based. I don't have a particular
> problem allowing an optional setscanlimits type callback that works with
> block numbers. The planner could check its presence and just not build
> tid range scans if not present. Alternatively a bespoke scan API for
> tid range scans, like the later patches in the tableam series for
> bitmap, sample, analyze scans, might be an option.

Given Andres' API concerns, and the short amount of time remaining in
this CF, I'm not sure how much of this patch set we can expect to land
in v12. It seems like it might be a good idea to scale back our ambitions
and see whether there's a useful subset we can push in easily.

With that in mind, I went ahead and pushed 0001+0004, since improving
the planner's selectivity estimate for a "ctid vs constant" qual is
likely to be helpful whether the executor is smart about it or not.

FWIW, I don't really see the point of treating 0002 as a separate patch.
If it had some utility on its own, then it'd be sensible, but what
would that be? Also, it looks from 0002 like you are trying to overload
rs_startblock with a different meaning than it has for syncscans, and
I think that might be a bad idea.