Re: [GENERAL] Count(*) throws error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Count(*) throws error
Date: 2007-07-12 14:54:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> Actually, rather than get into that sort of AI-complete project,

> Is it really AI-complete? ISTM the *only* place where a parameter is allowed
> is where the parser inserts a ColumnRef node?

The first problem is that we have to make the decision far upstream of that.

The second is that whether we *can* insert a parameter symbol is not the
same as whether we *should*. Even if we made that work, we'd only be
fixing the cases that currently result in trivial-for-users-to-recognize
syntactic errors. The deeper semantic errors arising from substituting
a parameter where the user meant to refer to a similarly-named column
can only be dealt with through user education.