Re: AW: AW: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates
Date: 2000-01-26 17:06:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> Ah, but you _can_ affect how the plans chosen, which in turn can affect
> the optimizer. Not as part of a running, production system, I grant you,
> but for debugging performance problems (and in particular, changes from
> one release to the next) it can be useful. What I'm talking about are
> the switches to the backend that tell pgsql not use particular kinds
> of joins/scans in planning a query

BTW, I have been thinking that it'd be a lot better if these flags could
be twiddled via SET/SHOW commands, instead of having to restart psql.
Nothing done about it yet, but it's an idea...

Also, you already can twiddle the basic cost parameters (cpu_page_weight
and cpu_index_page_weight) via SET variables whose names I forget at the
moment. There will be probably be at least one more such variable
before 7.0 comes out, to control cost of random page fetch vs. sequential.