Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Nico Williams' <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-23 14:42:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/23/2018 10:25 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Isn't 'defensive', in patent-speak, used to mean 'establishing prior
>> art usable to challenge future patent claims by others on the same
>> technique'?
>>
>> Is there any way that conditions of use, or lack of them, on an
>> existing patent, would make it unusable in that context?
>
> It doesn't have to be a patent on the same technique; this URL was
> referenced in the thread:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_termination

Ah, a very different understanding of defensive use of a patent,
and one that I can see would lose force if there could be no
conditions on its use.

I was thinking more of the use of a filing to establish prior art
so somebody else later can't obtain and enforce a patent on
the technique that you're already using. Something along the lines
of a statutory invention registration[1], which used to be a thing
in the US, but now apparently is not, though any filed, published
application, granted or abandoned, can serve the same purpose.

That, I think, would still work.

-Chap

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Statutory_Invention_Registration