Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]
Date: 2003-05-31 04:32:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Has the single-byte LIKE penalty been eliminated, so we don't need to
> consider using C as the default locale for initdb, right?

I'm still of the opinion that we should make C the default locale.
But I'm not sure where the consensus is, so I've not made the change.

> If fixed, how was it done?

Peter has provided a hack whereby one can create a LIKE-supporting index
in a non-C locale. But a *default* index in a non-C locale is still not
going to support LIKE ... and the hacked index will not support ordinary
comparison or ordering operators. So I think there's still a lot left
to be desired here.