Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission
Date: 2010-07-10 17:18:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Though, if the worst problem with this patch is the formatting, we're doing *quite* well.

Well, the worst problem with it is that it hasn't touched the
interesting part, ie, what happens at execution time. I haven't
seen a design for that, which means it's impossible to evaluate
whether the code that is here is of any use. We might need some
other representation entirely.

BTW, Fetter's version of the patch seems to be lacking any gram.y
changes, but surely those exist already?