Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind
Date: 2011-04-24 21:27:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If you don't log changes to tables you have two choices if we crash
> 1) truncate the table and any indexes
> 2) rebuild any indexes damaged by the crash

No, you have only one choice, and that's (1), because there's no
guarantee that what's in the table file is meaningful.

> Heap blocks would be zeroed if they were found to be damaged, following a crash.

This is sheerest fantasy. And even if you could implement it, what sort
of feature would you be offering? "Your data is preserved except when
it isn't"? People who want that can go use mysql.