Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-04-24 18:43:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-04-24 23:14:40 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> In the long run we'll probably be forced toward threading or far pointers.

> I'll vote for removing the windows port, before going for that. And I'm
> not even joking.

Me too. We used to *have* that kind of code, ie relative pointers into
the shmem segment, and it was a tremendous notational mess and very
bug-prone. I do not wish to go back.

(We have accepted that kind of overhead for DSM segments, but the
intention I think is to allow only very trivial data structures in
the DSM segments. Losing compiler pointer type checking for data
structures like the lock or PGPROC tables would be horrid.)