Re: Epoch to timestamp conversion function patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Epoch to timestamp conversion function patch
Date: 2004-08-05 13:55:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> Another idea would be to overload TO_TIMESTAMP to take a single double
> precision float parameter rather than two text parameters.

Offhand I'd favor this one.

I think borrowing the function name from MySQL would be asking for
trouble: there's nothing worse than a function that looks compatible
with someone else's but isn't quite. I don't even understand what
FROM_UNIXTIME(integer, format) is supposed to do --- there are not
multiple formats of Unix timestamps --- so that leads me to be a little
skeptical that their idea of FROM_UNIXTIME(integer) works quite like
ours would, either. (Plus the integer vs float distinction is not
trivial.)