Re: GNU readline and BSD license

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Date: 2000-12-30 01:27:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> someone brought up that when configure runs, it is adding -lreadline to
> the backend compile, even though that I don't think there is any reason
> for doing such?

There isn't --- configure is just sloppy in that it supplies the same
library list for all programs we build. (This might be a fair amount
of work to change; never looked at it.)

However, I don't see what that has to do with the licensing argument.
We stand or fall on psql's use of libreadline, and having useless
dependencies from other executables doesn't alter anything that I can
see.