Re: todo: Hash index creation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: twraney(at)comcast(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: todo: Hash index creation
Date: 2007-06-28 00:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> twraney(at)comcast(dot)net wrote:
>> Is anyone currently working on this TODO item?
>> "During index creation, pre-sort the tuples to improve build speed"

> If you want to work on hash indexes, though, this TODO item seems more
> important to me at least:
>> Add WAL logging for crash recovery

Actually I think the *most* important thing to work on is to get hash to
the point where its search speed actually beats btree consistently, so
that it has an excuse to live. If that is insoluble we might well end up
ripping it out entirely. (The first three TODO items for hash indexes
are ideas for trying to improve the speed.)

Fixing the WAL support would come after that, and bring it to the point
where someone could actually recommend it for production use.

After that it would be sensible to work on inessentials like improving
the build speed.