Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN
Date: 2003-08-06 13:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> But should the CREATE DOMAIN manual page refer to DROP TYPE? Should DROP
> DOMAIN be able to drop a type?

<shrug> Don't care much about either of those; the current state of
affairs is fine with me.

> What happens in the future if for some
> reason we need to add some special case to dropDomain() and the coder
> neglects to add it to dropType()?

That would be a bug without regard for any of this discussion, because
both RemoveDomain and RemoveType are simply user interface routines;
they do no actual work. If someone put actual work into either, it'd
be wrong because it would not get done during a cascaded drop.