Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)
Date: 2008-09-24 03:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Multilevel frameworks have concepts of data hiding and data substitution
> based on labels. That is, if a user doesn't have permissions on data,
> he's not merely supposed to be denied access to it, he's not even supposed
> to know that the data exists. In extreme cases (think military / CIA use)
> data at a lower security level should be substitited for the higher
> security level data which the user isn't allowed. Silently.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing that the spooks think they want.
I can't imagine how it would play nice with SQL-standard integrity
constraints. Data that apparently violates a foreign-key constraint,
for example, would give someone a pretty good clue that there's
something there he's not being allowed to see.