Re: UTF8 for docs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF8 for docs
Date: 2018-05-01 14:14:48
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Our release.sgml contains these lines, that I wrote:
> we cannot use UTF8 because SGML Docbook does not support it
> do not use numeric _UTF_ numeric character escapes (&#nnn;),
> we can only use Latin1

> Should this be changed now that we are using XML for head? It cannot be
> changed for back branch releases since those are still SGML, so I
> suggest we keep this restriction. I have updated the doc comments.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that restricting the
character set was still a good idea because of downstream restrictions
on rendering of the docs. For instance, pretty much every web browser
can render Latin1 characters, but I wouldn't bet on Klingon working.

Maybe we could go a little further than the standard named-entity
characters, but it'd take some research to figure out what is safe.