Re: Problem with pgstat timneouts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with pgstat timneouts
Date: 2011-12-22 18:45:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com> writes:
> The only thing which I see when I run iostat is load on the drives every
> so often. Mifd0 is the database, mifd1 is the pg_xlog.

Hmm. Maybe checkpoints or something else saturating your drives for a
little while? You might want to be more aggressive about smoothing out
checkpoints, cf
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/chkp-bgw-83.htm
At the very least I'd enable checkpoint logging for awhile and see
if there seems to be any correlation to the response-time glitches.