Re: INSERT ON CONFLICT and RETURNING

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT ON CONFLICT and RETURNING
Date: 2020-09-08 09:06:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have performed comparison of different ways of implementing UPSERT in
Postgres.
May be it will be interesting not only for me, so I share my results:

So first of all initialization step:

  create table jsonb_schemas(id serial, schema bytea primary key);
  create unique index on jsonb_schemas(id);
  insert into jsonb_schemas (schema) values ('some') on
conflict(schema) do nothing returning id;

Then I test performance of getting ID of exitsed schema:

1. Use plpgsql script to avoid unneeded database modifications:

create function upsert(obj_schema bytea) returns integer as $$
declare
  obj_id integer;
begin
  select id from jsonb_schemas where schema=obj_schema into obj_id;
  if obj_id is null then
    insert into jsonb_schemas (schema) values (obj_schema) on
conflict(schema) do nothing returning id into obj_id;
    if obj_id is null then
      select id from jsonb_schemas where schema=obj_schema into obj_id;
    end if;
  end if;
  return obj_id;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;

------------------------
upsert-plpgsql.sql:
select upsert('some');
------------------------
pgbench -n -T 100 -M prepared -f upsert-plpgsql.sql postgres
tps = 45092.241350

2. Use ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE:

upsert-update.sql:
insert into jsonb_schemas (schema) values ('some') on conflict(schema)
do update set schema='some' returning id;
------------------------
pgbench -n -T 100 -M prepared -f upsert-update.sql postgres
tps = 9222.344890

3.  Use ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING + COALESCE:

upsert-coalecsce.sql:
with ins as (insert into jsonb_schemas (schema) values ('some') on
conflict(schema) do nothing returning id) select coalesce((select id
from ins),(select id from jsonb_schemas where schema='some'));
------------------------
pgbench -n -T 100 -M prepared -f upsert-coalesce.sql postgres
tps = 28929.353732

4. Use ON CONFLICT DO SELECT

upsert-select.sql:
insert into jsonb_schemas (schema) values ('some') on conflict(schema)
do select returning id;
------------------------
pgbench -n -T 100 -M prepared -f upsert-select.sql postgres
ps = 35788.362302

So, as you can see PLpgSQL version, which doesn't modify database if key
is found is signficantly faster than others.
And version which always do update is  almost five times slower!
Proposed version of upsert with ON CONFLICT DO SELECT is slower than
PLpgSQL version (because it has to insert speculative tuple),
but faster than "user-unfriendly" version with COALESCE:

Upsert implementation
TPS
PLpgSQL
45092
ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE 9222
ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING 28929
ON CONFLICT DO SELECT 35788

Slightly modified version of my ON CONFLICT DO SELECT patch is attached
to this mail.

--

Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
on_conflict_do_select-2.patch text/x-patch 6.7 KB