Re: Restoring 7.4 "pg_dumpall -o" output in 8.1 fails

From: gson(at)gson(dot)org (Andreas Gustafsson)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring 7.4 "pg_dumpall -o" output in 8.1 fails
Date: 2006-08-07 09:01:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Try making the dump from the 7.4 server using 8.1's pg_dump(all).
>
> If you've already wiped the 7.4 installation then you'll have to deal
> with the incompatibilities yourself. It looked like setting
> default_with_oids to true in the 8.1 server would help (although do you
> *really* need to preserve OIDs in your dump? That -o switch is pretty
> well deprecated these days). The "cannot delete from a view" is
> probably coming from an attempt to "DELETE FROM pg_shadow", which you
> can ignore. You didn't show us any other problems.

What I did was to reinstall 7.4, which successfully restored the dump.

I don't think I actually need to preserve OIDs; I was using the -o
option out of habit, having been recommended to use it at some point.
In any case, that's not the point; I'm not looking for support or
workarounds, but simply to have the bug fixed. Whether or not I need
to preserve OIDs, the documented upgrade procedure for the case where
OIDs do need to preserved is not working, and that clearly is a bug in
either PostgreSQL itself or the documentation.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson(at)gson(dot)org