Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create_help.pl treats <literal> as replaceable
Date: 2022-05-18 16:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 17.05.22 17:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Isn't that a documentation bug rather than a problem with create_help?

> Yeah, there is no need for a <literal> inside a <synopsis>. So I just
> removed it.

I think you should have upper-cased MATCH while at it, to make it clear
that it acts like a keyword in this context. The current situation is
quite unreadable in plain-ASCII output:

regression=# \help copy
Command: COPY
HEADER [ boolean | match ]

Since "boolean" is a metasyntactic variable here, it's absolutely
not obvious that "match" isn't.