Re: master, static inline and #ifndef FRONTEND

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: master, static inline and #ifndef FRONTEND
Date: 2018-09-10 16:39:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In a recent commit [1] I added a static inline which castoroides
> dislikes: ...
> It's obviously trivial to fix this case with by adding an #ifndef
> FRONTEND. But as castoroides appears to be the only animal showing the
> problem - after subtracting the animals dead due to the C99 requirement
> - I wonder if we shouldn't just require "proper" static inline
> support. castoroides runs a 13yo OS, and newer compilers that do not
> have the problem are readily available.

Given that we currently have *no* working Solaris buildfarm members,
I'm not prepared to tolerate "I can't be bothered to fix this",
which is what your argument boils down to. We need to get at least
one of castoroides and protosciurus back to green so that we can
do platform-specific testing there [1], and castoroides appears to be
the easier one to fix in the short term.

In the long run it may well be reasonable to shift focus to newer
compilers and/or newer Solaris versions, but for today, I'm going
to go add the #ifndef.

regards, tom lane

[1] for instance,
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/16984.1536596764%40sss.pgh.pa.us