Re: OS X to macOS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OS X to macOS
Date: 2017-02-18 16:00:55
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>> Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
>> versions as macOS.

> Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider
> that?

As Daniel said, they're retroactively calling all versions macOS. I'm
sure you can still find "OS X" in places, but that's just because they
haven't been thorough about updating everything.

As I wrote in commit da6c4f6ca88d:

We weren't terribly consistent about whether to call Apple's OS
"OS X" or "Mac OS X", and the former is probably confusing to
people who aren't Apple users. Now that Apple has rebranded it
"macOS", follow their lead to establish a consistent naming
pattern.

I think "macOS" is just better all-around for our purposes, and we should
be grateful for the opportunity to change our documentation.