Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands
Date: 2022-01-23 20:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Maybe we need to have a README in the tree somewhere that tries to
> explain this. Or maybe we should make our build artifacts msys-aware,
> if that's possible, so that this just works. Or maybe supporting msys
> is not worth the trouble.

I've been wondering that last myself. Supporting Windows-native is
already a huge amount of work, which we put up with because there
are a lot of users. If msys is going to add another large chunk of
work, has it got enough users to justify that?

The recent argument that this behavior isn't user-visible doesn't do
anything to mollify me on that point; it appears to me to be tantamount
to a concession that no real users actually care about msys.