Re: Improving overflow checks when adding tuple to PGresult Re: [GENERAL] Retrieving query results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Improving overflow checks when adding tuple to PGresult Re: [GENERAL] Retrieving query results
Date: 2017-08-29 19:24:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Michael Paquier
>> Attached are two patches:
>> 1) 0001 refactors the code around pqAddTuple to be able to handle
>> error messages and assign them in PQsetvalue particularly.
>> 2) 0002 adds sanity checks in pqAddTuple for overflows, maximizing the
>> size of what is allocated to INT_MAX but now more.

I've pushed these (as one commit) with some adjustments. Mainly,
I changed PQsetvalue to report failure messages with PQinternalNotice,
which is what already happens inside check_field_number() for the case
of an out-of-range field number. It's possible that storing the
message into the PGresult in addition would be worth doing, but I'm
unconvinced about that --- we certainly haven't had any field requests
for it.