Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, OmniTI DBA <dba(at)omniti(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP patch: Improve relation size functions such as pg_relation_size() to avoid producing an error when called against a no longer visible relation
Date: 2011-12-22 18:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm wondering if we oughta just return NULL and be done with it.

+1. There are multiple precedents for that sort of response, which we
introduced exactly so that "SELECT some_function(oid) FROM some_catalog"
wouldn't fail just because one of the rows had gotten deleted by the
time the scan got to it. I don't think it's necessary for the
relation-size functions to be any smarter. Indeed, I'd assumed that's
all that Phil's patch did, since I'd not looked closer till just now.