Re: Proposal: More structured logging

From: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: More structured logging
Date: 2021-08-20 09:31:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le jeudi 19 août 2021, 15:04:30 CEST Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> On 2021-Aug-13, Ronan Dunklau wrote:
> > ereport(NOTICE,
> >
> > (errmsg("My log message")),
> > (errtag("EMITTER", "MYEXTENSION")),
> > (errtag("MSG-ID", "%d", error_message_id))
> >
> > );
>
> Interesting idea. I agree this would be useful.
>
> > Please find attached a very small POC patch to better demonstrate what I
> > propose.
>
> Seems like a good start. I think a further step towards a committable
> patch would include a test module that uses the new tagging
> functionality.

Please find attached the original patch + a new one adding a test module.
The test module exposes a function for generating logs with tags, and a log
hook which format the tags in the DETAIL field for easy regression testing.

Next step would be to emit those tags in the CSV logs. I'm not sure what
representation they should have though: a nested csv in it's own column ? A
key => value pairs list similar to hstore ? A json object ?

Also we should probably make this available to the client too, but once again
the format of the tag field needs to be defined. Any opinion ?

--
Ronan Dunklau

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-ErrorTag-support.patch text/x-patch 4.0 KB
v2-0002-Add-test-module-for-the-new-tag-functionality.patch text/x-patch 6.6 KB