Re: Segfault when creating partition with a primary key and sql_drop trigger exists

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marco Slot <marco(at)citusdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Onder Kalaci <onder(at)citusdata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Segfault when creating partition with a primary key and sql_drop trigger exists
Date: 2018-10-05 03:37:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 10/4/18 8:34 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> I am suggesting to fix the issue after RC1 is released, but before GA.

> That approach would mean we would require an RC2, which would further
> delay the GA.

Not sure about that. Alvaro seems to think there's a generic problem
in event trigger processing, which if true, was likely there pre-v11.
I don't think that patches that get back-patched further than 11
need to restart the RC clock.

> Ideally it would be great if this was fixed for RC1. However, given the
> choice of pushing the release out further vs. saving the fix for .1
> which would be relatively soon, I would vote for the latter.

There are definitely good calendar reasons to hold to the schedule of
RC1 next week and GA the week after. I'd only want to blow up that
plan if we hit something that is both very bad and very hard to fix.

However, if we have a fix that we believe in that's available post-RC1,
I'm not sure I see why it's better to sit on it till after GA.