Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dump/restore to 7.4devel giving "[archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline"
Date: 2003-04-29 22:34:57
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com> writes:
> Should I expect to be dump/restore from 7.2 to 7.4devel to work
> cleanly? Of course it's perfectly OK if the answer is "not surprising
> on a devel build" :-) -- just letting people know.

Hmm, I'd expect it to work --- as you say, it's not hugely surprising if
there are bugs in there, but I wasn't aware of any. Can you look more
closely and find out what's going on --- for example, what shows up in
the postmaster log with this case:

> pg_restore: restoring data for table d_ref
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputline
> pg_restore: *** aborded because of error

One thing to watch out for is that cvs-tip pg_dump won't talk to a
pre-7.4 server at all (if it does, you've got some shared-library
misalignment). That will have to be fixed, but it's not on
the critical path at the moment.