Re: postgresql 7.4.2 binary for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Smith <christopherl_smith(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 7.4.2 binary for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
Date: 2004-04-29 22:20:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Christopher Smith <christopherl_smith(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I have endeavored to do so however, I get these errors.... Is there a way to change the build script(s) to ignore this tcl library requirement?

> error: failed build dependencies:
> tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG

Just tell rpmbuild to ignore dependencies (--nodeps or some such). The
dependency on tcl-devel is bogus for older RH installations, because
they didn't have a separate package for tcl's development stuff.

There is another way to do it involving defining a symbol to tell the
build script which platform you are on, but --nodeps is easier ...