Re: Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stefan Mertl <zongo(at)gmx(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't connect to server (postgresql6.2.1)
Date: 2001-06-14 14:09:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Stefan Mertl <zongo(at)gmx(dot)at> writes:
> A software package i want to use requires postgresql version 6.2.1

"Requires"? Have you tried getting it to play with something a little
less hoary? Certainly we haven't been perfect about maintaining
backwards compatibility, but we try not to break things. I'd really
recommend trying to use a recent version instead --- the number of bugs
fixed since 6.2.1 is large.

> The man pages say, that there is the -i option to allow access via
> tcp/ip, but if i'm trying to start postmaster -i it prompts me the
> help message with the different options. And there no -i option is
> mentioned.

Looking at the release history, it seems that the -i switch was added
at release 6.3, and the format of pg_hba.conf changed at the same time.
You'd better consult the documentation that goes with 6.2.1, not newer
docs.