Re: Removing "long int"-related limit on hash table sizes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing "long int"-related limit on hash table sizes
Date: 2021-07-25 18:53:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I think int64 is in most cases the counterpart of *long* on Windows.

I'm not particularly on board with s/long/int64/g as a universal
solution. I think that most of these usages are concerned with
memory sizes and would be better off as "size_t". We might need
int64 in places where we're concerned with sums of memory usage
across processes, or where the value needs to be allowed to be
negative. So it'll take case-by-case analysis to do it right.

BTW, one aspect of this that I'm unsure how to tackle is the
common usage of "L" constants; in particular, "work_mem * 1024L"
is a really common idiom that we'll need to get rid of. Not sure
that grep will be a useful aid for finding those.