Re: pg_dump design problem (bug??)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump design problem (bug??)
Date: 2006-05-09 20:47:20
Lists: pgsql-general

"Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com> writes:
> I'm wondering if there's a problem with pg_dump --create,
> or if I'm just missing something.
> It does not seem to restore things like:
> ALTER DATABASE foo SET "DateStyle" TO European;
> Shouldn't the database that is re-created be like
> the database that is being dumped?

The major reason why pg_dump doesn't touch that stuff is that it wants
to be agnostic about the name of the database you are restoring into.

I don't see any particular problem with leaving it to pg_dumpall, in
any case. pg_dump is already assuming that you've correctly set up
cluster-wide state; for example it doesn't create users for you.