Re: Similar to csvlog but not really, json logs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Similar to csvlog but not really, json logs?
Date: 2014-08-27 02:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> I think that it would be a good beginner's project to make pprint()
> print JSON.

There's something to be said for that (or, really, for any standardized
widely-popular textual data format; but JSON is a perfectly reasonable
candidate).

> The existing infrastructure is user visible because of GUCs like
> debug_print_parse.

There is that :-(. The fact that these strings are stored in the catalogs
isn't a problem as long as we make the change in a major version upgrade.
But to the extent that there is client-side code that expects to make
sense of the strings, it could be a problem. Is there any such code?
If so, are we really beholden to not break it? It's not like we don't
change those data representations routinely anyway ...