Re: Any interest in buildfarm a member using Apple's llvm-gcc-4.2 or clang?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Creager <robert(at)logicalchaos(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any interest in buildfarm a member using Apple's llvm-gcc-4.2 or clang?
Date: 2009-09-08 22:18:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Creager <robert(at)logicalchaos(dot)org> writes:
> I'll set up one or two more 'machines' if there is interest (Snow
> Leopard)

LLVM, perhaps, though are you sure that llvm and gcc aren't the
same thing under the hood on SL? I thought I'd read somewhere that
Apple had turned gcc into a wrapper around the llvm code generator.

> clang fails to compile on HEAD, so I did no more checking on it.

I think that whatever version Apple is shipping on the DVD is probably
not going to be very useful for us. Grzegorz Jaskiewicz was using
bleeding-edge clang sources and still hitting bugs. Putting it in the
buildfarm might be a good idea in a few more months, when more-stable
clang versions are available.