Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-25 01:55:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2009/10/24 Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:
>> Could we have a new directive in postgresql.conf that allows you to
>> specify an includedirectory? Like an include directive but for a whole
>> directory rather than just a file.

> We could do it that way, but that would make the change bigger, not smaller :-P

I think we should have an explicit include-directory directive, and the
reason I think so is that it makes it fairly easy for the user to
control the relative precedence of the manual settings (presumed to
still be kept in postgresql.conf) and the automatic settings (presumed
to be in files in the directory). Manual settings before the include
are overridable, those after are not.

> Did you look at the patch? That's basically what it does now, except
> it doesn't add a parameter in postgresql.conf. If you lkeave the
> pg_config directory empty, it will just parse the postgresql.conf file
> just like before, and that's it. only if you put something in the
> pg_config directory will it load it, and only *after* it has loaded
> the main configuration file.

That last is a deal-breaker for me; I do not want a hard wired
presumption that manual settings should be overridden.