Re: fixing LISTEN/NOTIFY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing LISTEN/NOTIFY
Date: 2005-10-06 14:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> It might make sense to change the semantics so that we never lose a
> notification, if we're going to implement NOTIFY 'msg', but that's another
> discussion.

That's pretty much a given --- the ability to pass some payload data in
notifications has been on the TODO list for a very long time. I don't
think we're going to reimplement listen/notify without adding it.

I like your suggestion of "topic" for the notify name, and am tempted to
go fix the documentation to use that term right now ...