Re: pgsql: Default to hidden visibility for extension libraries where possi

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Default to hidden visibility for extension libraries where possi
Date: 2022-07-20 15:11:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On 2022-Jul-20, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'll try to do some research later today to identify anything else
>> we need to mark in plpgsql. I recall doing some work specifically
>> creating functions for pldebugger's use, but I'll need to dig.

> I suppose you're probably thinking of commit 53ef6c40f1e7; that didn't
> expose functions directly, but through plpgsql_plugin_ptr. Maybe that
> one does need to be made PGDLLEXPORT, since currently it isn't.

After some experimentation, it does not need to be marked: pldebugger
gets at that via find_rendezvous_variable(), so there is no need for
any explicit linkage at all between plpgsql.so and plugin_debugger.so.

Along the way, I made a quick hack to get pldebugger to load into
v15/HEAD. It lacks #ifdef's which'd be needed so that it'd still
compile against older branches, but perhaps this'll save someone
some time.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
pldebugger-shmem.patch text/x-diff 1.3 KB