Re: Identifier case folding notes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Identifier case folding notes
Date: 2008-07-08 22:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> Actually, there are a number of *very* popular database tools,
>> particularly
>> in the Java world (such as Netbeans and BIRT) which do mix quoted and
>> unquoted identifiers.

> Do these tools expect an unquoted identifier to be treated according
> to the standard?

Unfortunately, they almost certainly don't. I'd bet long odds that
what they expect is mysql's traditional behavior, which is not even
within hailing distance of being spec compliant. (In a quick test,
it looks like mysql 5.0's default behavior is never to fold case
at all; and then there's the problem that they use the wrong kind
of quotes ...)