Re: [BUGS] BUG #14244: wrong suffix for pg_size_pretty()

From: Thomas Berger <Thomas(dot)Berger(at)1und1(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14244: wrong suffix for pg_size_pretty()
Date: 2016-09-14 09:22:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Today, i found the time to read all the mails in this thread, and i think i have to explain, why we decided to open a bug for this behavior.

Pn Tuesday, 23. August 2016, 13:30:29 Robert Haas wrote:
> J. Random User: I'm having a problem!
> Mailing List: Gee, how big are your tables?
> J. Random User: Here's some pg_size_pretty output.
> Mailing List: Gosh, we don't know what that means, what do you have
> this obscure GUC set to?
> J. Random User: Maybe I'll just give up on SQL and use MongoDB.

In fact, we had just the other way around. One of our most critical databases had some extreme bloat.
Some of our internal customers was very confused, about the sizes reported by the database.
This confusion has led to wrong decisions. (And a long discussion about the choice of DBMS btw)

I think there is a point missing in this whole discussion, or i just didn't see it:

Yeah, the behavior of "kB" is defined in the "postgresql.conf" documentation.
But no _user_ reads this. There is no link or hint in the documentation of "pg_size_pretty()" [1].

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-DBSIZE

--
Thomas Berger

PostgreSQL DBA
Database Operations

1&1 Telecommunication SE | Ernst-Frey-Straße 10 | 76135 Karlsruhe | Germany
Phone: +49 721 91374-6566
E-Mail: thomas(dot)berger(at)1und1(dot)de | Web: www.1und1.de

Hauptsitz Montabaur, Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 23963

Vorstand: Markus Huhn, Alessandro Nava, Moritz Roth, Ludger Sieverding, Martin Witt

Member of United Internet

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder gesetzlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Anderen als dem bestimmungsgemäßen Adressaten ist untersagt, diese E-Mail zu speichern, weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise auch immer zu verwenden.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that saving, distribution or use of the content of this e-mail in any way is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail.