Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib loose ends: 9.0 to 9.1 incompatibilities
Date: 2011-02-16 17:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, it sounds like we're in agreement at least about 9.1, so we can
> leave the rest of the argument to another day. I *am* surprised that
> you think it would take *thousands* of lines of code.

Well, it all depends on how much ALTER stuff you want to add. An
open-ended commitment to write anything anybody could ever want
would certainly run to thousands of lines. A narrow focus on fixing
proven problems would probably be a lot more manageable ... but if
you have ambitions of fixing problems before anyone has hit them,
it's going to be hard to keep it small.