Re: alter enum add value if not exists

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter enum add value if not exists
Date: 2012-09-20 22:34:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 08/23/2012 07:39 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> It doesn't break, of course ,since it's protected by the unique index.
>> But aren't you at risk of getting the very error message you're trying
>> to avoid?

> Yeah, looking further this was probably a thinko on my part. Thanks for
> noticing. I've moved the test down so it's done right after the lock is
> acquired. Revised patch attached.

This patch looks sane as far as it goes. It strikes me though that if
we're going to invent an opt_if_not_exists production in the grammar,
there are a lot of other places where it should be used too, for
consistency if nothing else.

However, it would be reasonable to do that mop-up as a separate
commit. If you prefer, commit what you've got and then I'll see
about the other thing.