BUG #17096: Cannot reinstall after uninstalling PostgreSQL on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: inconvenience(dot)notice(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #17096: Cannot reinstall after uninstalling PostgreSQL on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Date: 2021-07-09 05:34:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 17096
Logged by: Yuetsuro Kobayashi
Email address: inconvenience(dot)notice(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.3
Operating system: Windows10 Pro for Workstations

When I installed PostgreSQL13 after uninstalling PostgreSQL12 on a "Windows
10 Pro for Workstation/OS" machine, "Failed to initialize data directory"
and "Parse error" occurred.
This issue has caused the symptom many times in older versions and I believe
it also has issues in the current latest version.
When the issue occurs, the only solution is a silly solution called an OS
clean install.
Is this the right method ?

I manually deleted the data directory and the installation directory
(PostgreSQL\13) after the uninstall operation on Windows, but the
installation fails. I also tried Registry Clean, but it still fails to
install.
The issue is that depending on the OS type, the installation succeeds or
fails during a reinstall after uninstalling.
There are two machine information known at this time.
・ Windows10 Pro for Workstations → Reinstallation fails after
uninstalling
CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5222 CPU(at)3(dot)80GHz
RAM : 192GB
・ Windows10 Pro → After uninstalling, reinstallation succeeds
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9820X CPU(at)3(dot)3GHz
RAM : 64GB