Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a
Date: 2004-06-12 12:45:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Dear pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com ,
>
>>Maybe we need a pgfoundary project called "PostgreSQL Application
>> Server."
>>Like Apache Tomcat or regular apache or PHP, PostgreSQL could form the
>> SQL
>>base of a far more intricate and flexable framework that encompases a lot
>>of the various features that could provide "application sever" features
>>from PostgreSQL.
>>

> Ok , fine thats required but how we start and what stuff is required to
> materilize all this lets put a plan and I am sure
> people including me will add to it.

Well that's a good question: How about these features:

Full Text Search
A recommendations system
WEB Session system
HTTP/XML interface with caching
Replication
Some OLAP functions
Unified installation
simplified configuration

Whatever else we can toss in and behave as one unified product.

I think this could look a little like a better integrated Apache Jacarta
project. We could have links to the various projects, HOWTOs, and
hopefully some unified binary release.