Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain
Date: 2015-09-04 13:40:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> See attached a proof-of-concept patch. It reduces the size of
> tab-complete.c by a bit over a thousand lines. I realise that changing so
> many lines just to refactor code may may be a difficult sell! But I think
> this would make it easier to improve the tab completion code in future, and
> although it's large it's a superficial and mechanical change.

I really dislike the magical "<" business. Maybe you could use NULL
instead of having to reserve a class of real strings as placeholders.
(That would require finding another way to denote the end of the list,
but a separate count argument seems like a possible answer.)
Or perhaps use empty strings as placeholders?