Re: initdb / bootstrap design

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb / bootstrap design
Date: 2022-02-19 23:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's an initial patch that gets rid of the need for initdb to
change the contents of postgres.bki before feeding it to the
bootstrap backend. After this, we could look at having the
backend read the file directly.

I don't really detect any speed change from getting rid of initdb's
string manipulations, but TBH I was not expecting any. On my machine,
that was lost in the noise already, according to perf(1).

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
feed-postgres.bki-to-backend-unmodified-1.patch text/x-diff 7.7 KB